GOODGUY of the Week (Win Free Stuff!)

LEADQUARTERS Forums Student Of The Gun GOODGUY of the Week (Win Free Stuff!)

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 217 total)
  • Author

If you want to submit a question and be entered to be our GOODGUY of the week, ask your question here. If we choose your question to be addressed on Student of the Gun Radio, you will win a GOODGUY pack from XS Sights. Be sure to stop by and thank XS Sights!

Steven Blackwell

If a night time situation occurred where a good light is required which do you prefer? A gun mounted light, a hand held light, or both? I know every situation is different and I’m wanting the best option for my self.

Steven,

I have a Kel-Tec CL43 Flashlight on my night stand at all times but I also have lights mounted to my home defense rifles. For a handgun, get night sights, such as XS Big Dot Sights, and have a flashlight handy. For rifles, mount a light to the rail and have a pressure switch on your vert grip.

Teachers/good guys

The question I have is the recent town in Texas that has given 18 teachers the position of carrying a weapon during school hours. What are your views in this? My feeling is the amount of training is paramount and the up keep and cost astronomical.

You should never force someone to carry a firearm. That is just asking for disaster. If the teachers are law abiding citizens (they better be if they are being role models for children) then they should have a choice as to be armed or not. Let’s face the facts, though. The only thing that is going to stop a criminal with a gun, is a bonafide good guy with a gun.

Tom Wall

I carry daily and work in a very bad area (3rd most dangerous city) and regularly have run ins with potential bad guys. When is it judicious to present my weapon to stop a potential threat. I am a big guy and generally showing no fear has deterred any problems, but I think it is a matter of time before I will have to draw my weapon

There are 3 things that have to be present in order to justifiably use or demonstrate intent to use deadly force.

1. Ability
    2. Opportunity
    3. Intent

We cover this, and MUCH more, in depth in our Armed Living DVD. Pick up your copy by clicking HERE.

Kerry

In order to carry into the church you attend. What would be the best way to go about it?

Kerry,

Assuming you wear pants to church and you will be sitting the majority of the time, an ankle holster would be the most practical. I usually carry a Crossbreed super tuck AND an ankle holster. You can tuck your shirt in with the Crossbreed and nobody is any the wiser.

Jim Southern

I heard on Fox Radio News that the cop that shot the LAX shooter saw him move and went back over to him and shot him at close range again. Now the shooter was isolated and disarmed and not a threat anymore. Would that second shot be considered assault with a deadly weapon with intent to kill?

Lead Head Jerome
    Participant

Movie BS or Actually Viable?

I saw a movie, where a guy used a drill bit and by hand drilled into the center of FMJ rounds; thus making them hollow points. Is this possible, or just made up movie BS?

Steve

I am in the process of slowly building my first AR. My upper and lower have been ordered and assembled, but now I’m having a little indecision now that I’ve been shopping for the perfect barrel.

My initial intention was to do a “simple” lightweight midlength in 5.56 for not-so-serious 3 Gun competitions, training, and home defense. During the process, the idea of building this rifle in .300 Blackout has now surfaced as a possibility. If I wasn’t a hardcore reloader, bullet caster, and general tinkerer I wouldn’t even consider it given .300 Blackout’s scarcity on the ammo shelves. But the fact that I am heavily into rolling my own makes it tempting and maybe even advantageous.

What say you on making anything other than a 5.56 your first AR-15?

James

I have carried concealed for about 25 years. During all that time, I have read every magazine article and watched every video I could find about personal defense. It seems that the current fad is to carry a high capacity 9mm. Most of the nationally prominent instructors shoot these things like a rock star. They can touch off 7 or 8 rounds and put them on target in a fraction of a second. I don’t argue the stopping power of that technique, but can you imagine for example, what would have happened to George Zimmerman if he had shot Trayvon Martin 7 times? I think he would be in prison now. It seems to me that one had better evaluate the situation as each shot is fired. No one would argue that a 45acp is less effective than 9mm, and it would slow your string of fire slightly. Wouldn’t that help give you time to re-evaluate the situation? What do you think?

justgene

What is your opinion on carrying a Glock with a round chambered? Years ago I had a Colt 45 cocked and locked in the glove box of my car, and it some how fired. I had my gunsmith go over it and he could no reason for the discharge.
    I’ve been hesatant to carry any pistol with a round chambered since then. Your help would be greatly appreciated.

William Bacus

Would you please provide the politically correct definition of an “assault weapon”? And what the last attempted gun bill tried to do with that definition by lowering the characteristics to one feature for the new standard. I debate with friends and some family members and they feel that being retired U.S. Army makes me biased. Thank you in advance.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 217 total)
  • The forum ‘Student Of The Gun’ is closed to new topics and replies.