GOODGUY of the Week (Win Free Stuff!)

LEADQUARTERS Forums Student Of The Gun GOODGUY of the Week (Win Free Stuff!)

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 217 total)
  • Author
    Ron Frey

It seems like almost every “How to” article or video on shooting or self defense argues that focus on the front sight is the best way to hit your target. Would you agree that maybe more attention should be paid to Col. Rex Applegate’s “Point shooting technique? It just seems logical that taking your eye off of an attacker to look at the sight would be hard or impossible in a high stress situation.

Mina

I chose a Taurus Judge instead of a shotgun mainly because of its smaller size and use a combination of 000 buckshot and Winchester PDX1 self defense shots (includes slugs plus BB’s). I would think that shooting an AR-15 inside the home could be bad, because it would go through walls into a room where one of the kids may be OR out of the home — possibly into a neighbor’s house.

Mina

I have a question: with the increasing frequency of the “knockout” game, how do you get eyes in the back of your head? LOL From some of the things I’ve read and watched, they are approaching people via an automobile — jumping out at the last second — to knock out; they are always coming up from behind a person to knock out. I have heard of two successful shootings by victims: one by a man who they tried to use a tazer on that failed, and the other by a 60 year old woman who wasn’t completely knocked out.

To me, it seems that this is presenting a new challenge for us — even concealed weapon carriers. Not only that, the perpetrator may not even be armed, except with his fist — so, how do you prove you were protecting yourself from bodily harm? Am I wrong?

Doug Taylor

Great Show Guys!
    What would you tell an EMT or police officer if you are in a car accident and you want to make sure your firearm, either on your body or in your vehicle, is secured and is returned to you after the dust clears?

Bobby Partida

What is the importance of practicing firing with your weak hand or non dominant hand only?

Burton Benkwith

What is your opinion on trigger jobs or drop-in triggers on your carry gun? There are lots of posts out there saying that a lawyer would have a field day with someone that has had trigger work done on their carry gun and that the safest thing to do is leave it stock. Any thoughts on concealed carry insurance?

AR15 is less likely to penetrate through walls. Slow, heavy bullets penetrate further than fast, light bullets. Here is some material to consider:

http://www.studentofthegun.com/component/content/article/8-site-pages/168-season-4-episode-1-chiappa-rhino-tips-from-todd-jarrett-ar-king-of-home-defense.html

Front Sight is the most important thing to focus on. The bullet comes out directly under the front site. Focusing on the attacker is wrong. Front sight, front sight, front sight. Training will eliminate the having to think about it part. You shouldn’t have to think about it…your body should be conditioned to carry out the CORRECT steps without having to think about them first.

John R.

Paul and Jarrad,

One thing I really haven’t heard anyone address on the various forums or radio/podcast programs is motorcycle carry. I am a new rider and have some concerns about concealed carry while riding. My typical carry is a Glock 23 in an IWB holster from N82 Tactical (the professional tuckable model), and I untuck my shirt to cover it. With the wind, etc., this could really be an issue (concealed means concealed). I’d like to get some guidance on this because, quite frankly, I ALWAYS carry.

Jeremiah Johnson

in a home defense situation when you don’t own a shotgun, heavier our lighter loaded ammo? ball or hollowpoint?

Gonzolio

I have the idea as my kids are coming home from school and telling me that guns are bad. I explain to him that Papa has a gun, he is good and that police have guns and soldiers have guns. I want to home school at a later date, but in the mean time I want to change this creep in our Texas schools. I don’t have credentials in firearm safety but would like to start going into elementary schools and give firearm safety instruction to kids so that kids understand the dangers and that guns are tools. Are there programs already design that I can present to children or is this something I will have to create? I want to educate kids that don’t have parents that teach their children this.

Justin Glover

Hey Paul and Jarrod. My question is about extreme temperatures and how they affect your firearm and the ammunition. Extreme heat in the summer and severe cold in the winter are very common in my great state of Utah. Is extreme heat or cold temperatures anything I should be worried about?

jimbovia
    Participant

SOTG:

The wife and I have been discussing bed side storage options. Considering that we have a 2 y/o in the house that is into everything at this point, what would be the most responsible solution?

Regards,
    Jim Bates
    Central Indiana
    Transplanted to Free America in 2009

Caleb A.
    Participant

What are your thoughts on removing the magazine disconnect “safety” of a handgun? I work at a private security company and was thinking of removing the magazine disconnect from my duty weapon. If I did that and had to use it for self-defense, would that cause legal problems?

harmless_payload
    Participant

What do you guy’s think of the Tac-Con trigger group? Worth the cost?

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 217 total)
  • The forum ‘Student Of The Gun’ is closed to new topics and replies.