Glock vs. 1911

LEADQUARTERS Forums Talking Lead Forums Glock vs. 1911

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    TALKING LEAD
    Keymaster

Let er rip Lead Heads….lets see what everybody thinks and why? Feel free to add other polymer guns too 😉

Lead Head Jerome
    Participant

Never fired a 1911. But I have fired a Glock. In 2003 when I first shot a handgun other then my Pops Taurus 357 revolver, it was a Glock. I’m not sure what model it was but I think it was a .40. I remember not liking it. It was really blocky, hefty and awkward to hold. It’s funny, cause I turned around a month later and bought a Hi-Point as my firearm for my job.

TALKING LEAD
    Keymaster

Whats your job? Drug dealer? LoL just kidding if it works for ya…..

If you want to actually be able to train…GLOCK! Didn’t you guys know GLOCK makes a 1911?? LOL!

Jack Weigand

Not wanting to start a debate, well not one I want to participate in anyway.
    Before you read this please look up my profile at the following link, I do have street cred.

1911s’ can be made to run pretty flawlessly. I personally shot over 100000 rounds without a malfunction through a 1911. Note here, the conditions were RANGE conditions and not nasty field conditions, which will factor into 1911 reliability.

1911s’ come from most all manufactures set up wrong, they just don’t understand how they work. The majority of my business, starting in 1984 was setting up stock 1911s’ so they would run. Here are the main points to getting them to run correctly.

Extractor setup and adjusted correctly.

Ejection port height no higher than .500″ (scoped 1911s’ I have gone down as low as .300″).

Feed ramp. There are all kinds of ways to do this but here is the key. There must be a “jump” or gap between the frame ramp and the barrel ramp. This is to keep the bullet tip or brass from getting under the barrel ramp and hanging up.

Here is a huge item. Ammunition being fed into a 1911 MUST be slightly (I crimp .002″) taper crimped.

There are many other items that need to be checked and possibly addressed but those items will get you 90% of the way to good reliability.

As a side note I carry a Glock 19.

God Bless
    Jack Weigand
    President
    Weigand Combat Handguns Inc.

Joe

Apples and Oranges guys. Both are great tools. No amount of gunsmithing will ever make a Glock trigger feel like a 1911 trigger. Glock don’t have the sex appeal of a 1911. Glocks run, period. 1911s look and feel better. Car vs. Truck. Both can be decked out and both can look good, but I’ll never haul a cord of wood in the trunk of my wife’s Camery and her Camery doesn’t have to stop and refuel at every other gas station like my truck does.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.