GOODGUY of the Week (Win Free Stuff!)

LEADQUARTERS Forums Student Of The Gun GOODGUY of the Week (Win Free Stuff!)

Viewing 7 posts - 211 through 217 (of 217 total)
  • Author
    The22Man
    Participant

dfslayer, I hope you get this, here is my take on multiple firearms
    http://www.theweeklygeek.com/2014/04/16/easy-way-to-start-your-physical-security-on-a-budget-part-1-firearms/
    I think the controls should be simple, I think similarity between weapons is great. I also think “budget” guns that are reliable are just fine.
    There can be a budget gun that is unreliable and fixing is too expensive, I had a CZ-52 in 9mm that was that way.

The22Man
    Participant

BenW,
    Though I heard this addresses on SOTG, I too still have body armor questions. My 90’s military vest with level 4 is way bigger (longer) than most of the ones sold today. Of course it does not have the new way of connecting. I have seen those that barely cover the sturnum and leave the belly exposed, the theory is “flexibility” and “ease of access what is on your hip / belt”. I am not sure if I can agree with that. The old style I works fine with a pistol belt that has water, mags et al on it. It is VERY heavy and not easy to go prone to any position.
    For home / night grab and toss on, I am looking for a soft III or IIIa due to chances of handgun over rifle fight. Prices vary so wildly I don’t know who to get it from. There is / was “dragon armor”, AR500, Amendment II plus the one Paul mentioned on the show.
    I also would like a vest to keep in my trunk, level IV that is not too bulky like my military one but not so small that I am not sure if I really would be safe. Part of it is the weight of plates adn the different people who make them, the other part is the “splatter” from impact of a round and how it is absorbed or kept away from my body.
    So many questions, so few places to actually go to and find out. Youtube just added more questions to my plate than it answered.

Matt Margush
    Participant

in regards to CCW two is one and one is none mindset, What methods do you use to carry two pieces, in particularly during summer/hot weather? Also when choosing a BUG would you recommend staying with the same platform and caliber in order to reduce carrying extra magazines?

Press on!

bmckey1985
    Participant

What are your thoughts on outside the waist band holsters for concealed carry? I was look at holster like Bravo Concealment or Kustom Concealment

Jonesy
    Participant

Bump in the night question. You go to investigate the proverbial bump in the night, what do you fill your hands with? Light, less lethal, pistol, etc. Currently I’m running a dedicated shoulder bag with the following available: 9mm pistol, light, OC, trauma kit, knife, and phone. My thoughts are put the light in the off hand, dominate hand goes in bag on the pistol. Light hand manipulates doors and such. Allows me to throw everything in the bag if I need both hands. Also allows me to go outside armed without brandishing (neighbors are like family around here). I’m interested in your thoughts.

Thanks a lot!
    Jonesy

Ancillary stuff:
    Two small children on the opposite side of the home
    Bag is in the safe during the day
    Bag is hung on the bed post in the evening

Kit:
    Maxpedition bag with dedicated holster
    Ruger SR9 w/reload
    OC – Sabre Red or Fox
    Spyderco folder
    Surefire w/ lanyard
    OLAES pressure bandage
    TK4 tourniquet
    iPhone

The22Man
    Participant

Matt Margush, I heard the guys talk about this on the podcast. Here is what I have done. In 1998 I bought a Glock 19, in 1999 I bought a Glock 26 as my BUG. I carried 2 or 3 additional magazines. I tried an ankle holster, the 26 made me “limp”. Trying 2 IWB or 1 IWB and one OWB just did not work. I was about 150 pounds then.
    My theory was sharing the same magazines.
    I quite carrying on my body because it was uncomfortable / to much trouble. I personal think that is a bad idea. Later I bought and carried a Keltec 32 so at least I had a BUG, however its trigger pull was too different. During panic drills I never got a 2nd shot off because I was not releasing the trigger far enough out. I was / am used to the trigger reset of the Glock.

The22Man
    Participant

Jonesy,
    I agree with the bag, you might have noticed in a previous forum, I am building on a plate carrier system.
    I applaud you for thinking ahead.
    Personally I would not take the pepper spray. Too many choices to make going from dead sleep to “oh crud”. Any cell phone should do. I keep an old one not in service, it allows 9-1-1 to be dialed.
    After taking the “Beyond the Band-Aid” class, I would HIGHLY recommend removing the TK4 and putting in a RAT-T, or get the entire Pocket LifeSaver 2.0.
    Finally I would add electronic ear muffs, they enhance your ability to hear in the house a big plus and of course if you have to use your handgun you assist in saving your ears.
    Again, just my two cents.

Viewing 7 posts - 211 through 217 (of 217 total)
  • The forum ‘Student Of The Gun’ is closed to new topics and replies.