Flashlight Deployment/Low Light Home Defense

LEADQUARTERS Forums Student Of The Gun Flashlight Deployment/Low Light Home Defense

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Stevo
    Participant

My question is regarding home defense in a low-light altercation. I keep a Surefire light with my Glock for specifically this situation (seperate, not mounted on the gun) and was curious about training for use of the light in these circumstances. I’ve always planned on utilizing one hand for the light, the other for the gun, with the flashlight held away from the body in case of shots being fired toward the light itself. The problems I’m having with this are as follows:

1. Am I taking away from accuracy too much by only utilizing one hand on the weapon in the name of a risk that may not be substantial (that risk being someone shooting toward the light)?
    2. If one deploys the light this way, is there a respected protocol for where to hold the light so as to minimize the chance of muzzle sweeping your own arm under stress and to be able to maneuver obstacles in your home?
    3. Are there any type of documented instances that you know of that would sway you one way or the other on manual flashlight deployment vs. weapon mounted?

Thank you so much!

Stevo: Is there a particular reason you are using a handgun as a home defense weapon instead of a rifle? Our fighting rifles have a sling, XS Sights, light, and maybe a vertical foregrip.

Stevo
    Participant

Thanks for the response. The only reason is budget at this point. I am saving for a quality fighting rifle and should have it within the year, but in the meantime, my only other semi auto rifle is an sks which I’m not confident in for home defense at this point. Also, I have had a lot more formal training with the Glock and feel way more confident with it for those purposes right now. When I get an AR, I will be making that my home defense rig. There must be a lot of people out there who are faced with budget restrictions and decide on handgun for the sake of carry too, would you agree? What would be your suggestion to them regarding the light, or is it maybe irrelevant? Thanks again for the response. I love your show and appreciate very much all the hard work. I’ve learned a ton.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • The forum ‘Student Of The Gun’ is closed to new topics and replies.