Varmint tipped bullets for self defense

LEADQUARTERS Forums Student Of The Gun Varmint tipped bullets for self defense

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Ben

Living in Columbus, Oh, we have houses on top of houses. I’m worried that a discharge from my AR will send the bullet two blocks away. I bought a bunch of Federal American Eagle 50 Grain Tipped Varmint rounds, thinking this would help. Now, I’m wondering if this will cause the problem of UNDER-penetration, possibly creating an even worse scenario…a wounded and pissed off bad guy in my house. What do you think?

Thanks a lot guys!

Ben
    Columbus, Ohio

JessieG

Although I’m an AR fan, and own one, I still use my 12 guage as my go to home defense gun. I’m not worried about over penetration, or under penetration. I keep my gun loaded in a very specific order. 2 heavy bird shot rounds to halt the intruder. 2 “000” buck shot rounds to put him/her on the ground. 1 hollow point sabot slug as a last resort. Perhaps you should look into this as an option. If you don’t own a shotgun, maybe look into frangible rounds for your weapon. They are pricey, but they are purpose driven, nor ahouls they be used as range ammo, self defense only.

JessieG

*nor should they be used as range ammo, self defense only

paul

For 5.56/.223 we’ve been impressed by 77g Mk262 (BTHP) and USMC Mk318 Mod 0 (62g. OTM). Either should serve you well indoors or out.

BEn

Thanks for the input guys. And Jesse, I do have a great home defense shotgun as well. My AR would be my secondary or even tertiary option if things were to south.

Thanks again guys.

-Ben

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • The forum ‘Student Of The Gun’ is closed to new topics and replies.