GOODGUY of the Week (Win Free Stuff!)

LEADQUARTERS Forums Student Of The Gun GOODGUY of the Week (Win Free Stuff!)

Viewing 15 posts - 151 through 165 (of 217 total)
  • Author
    Hibbidydoo
    Participant

so I have a good guy question.

my wife and I are interested in taking some AR/pistol classes around the DFW area..we currently only have 1 AR, which is a 20″, but I’m about to start a 16″ build here in the next month or so for my wife. my question is this – would it be OK to take some classes with the 20″, or should I buy/build a 16″ for myself so we both have smaller and lighter rifles for the class?

keep in mind, I don’t have anything booked just yet, I am just trying to get a feel for where I should spend my money for now. I want to make sure I have the right rifle for the class.

Thanks a bunch.

MFZuber3PD
    Participant

When I’m out dining with my Wife, I really like to set where I can see the People, doors & Exits but inevitably that seat has a better view of our Natural Surroundings and or is more Comfortable. I was raised to always provide a Lady with the best seat (and everything else). I know I should just MAN UP and tell my wife to move so I can be more situationally aware but Let’s pretend that’s Not going to happen. Any suggestions on how to remain aware but not violate my own belief system?
    I DON’T want to hear this on the VAGINATION report- this is about trying to follow the Southern Gentleman’s Code (kinda) which many of us still believe in and this situation does happen quite often.
    Thanks

The22Man
    Participant

MFZuber3PD,
    I was raised the same way. How I approached it with my wife was I needed to protect her and our children, and in order to do that I needed to see around.
    For the first 5 years of marriage it did not help, however, after each incident on the news, I quietly and respectfully said something to the effect, “I wonder why their husbands did not love them enough to protect them”. No lectures, just let it drop. Now 19+ years into the marriage, she is looking for the best seating for the family (away from the front windows and cash register) and where I can see as well as taking in consideration that I am left handed. In other-words it took time but now she has an awareness.

The
    Participant

I have begun to Concealed Carry and Prepare for various disasters.
    I have a Super-duper-apple-of-my-eye 4yo son. He has seen my CC pistol once or twice. With all of the child shootings, my weapon is either on my hip or in the safe.

When and how should I approach “Daddy has a Pistol and I have it to keep you safe”?

diablerie27
    Participant

Love the Show!

I have been reading a lot about the “Color Code System” (ie Condition white, yellow, orange, red, black) with regards to a stressful event or being prepared for a stressful event / attack etc… It seems that the goal is to be prepared so you can avoid going into Condition Black. What is a good way to train for this? Is it just “normal” training so you can go on muscle memory and autopilot if a situation arrises or is there something more we can do to keep from going to Condition Black when it hits the fan?

Thanks,
    Eric

The22Man
    Participant

Butches Gun Oil – A quick heads up
    Guys, as I was cleaning my weapons with Frog Lube (see my question about it on the main forum page), I noticed something.
    I used to use Butches Gun Oil, it is red, on all my firearms.
    On my weapons there was this red “plastic” covering. Like I would expect a transparent film on something you don’t want scratched.
    Turns out it was the dried Butches Gun Oil. It was no longer a lube but a hindrance, it could block / jam / gum up those various systems.

ir0nw1l
    Participant

What App is available for the Apple TV? I have not been able to find the Wilderness TV App, am I missing something?

WUA
    Participant

Yeah! I made it to the Forum:) Lots of great questions in here and I read as many as I could at this sitting. Didn’t see mine yet. I emailed this Q before I found my way here. I am guessing Paul & Jarrad would have a heck of a time getting all of our comments addressed!

What is your opinion of cross drawing? I am relatively new to firearms and am practicing with my first holster that can be set in various ways. I keep coming back to the cross draw and am wondering if I am developing a bad habit or not. I’d appreciate an opinion on this, thanks!

Question for Superman above, or Dan of Who is watching….. lol. how did you guys get your avatar loaded? I haven’t had much trouble loading them on other sites, but this one sure is a mystery to me. When I start looking around, I wind up completely off the Forum. Usually you can find an avenue1 by editing in the Profile. Not here though.
    If you see my question, thanks for any advice.

sharpshooterphoto
    Participant

Tin foil hat time! What are your opinions on sharing photos of our guns or pro-gun opinions on social media? Are we spreading the gospel or making ourselves targets to agents of civilian disarmament? I love my gun collection (what gun owner doesn’t?) and take pretty good pictures, plus any chance I get to show/tell my friends in CA what free America is like feels pretty good, but I want to be smart about it too. I know you guys have lots of experience in the matter so any advice would be appreciated! Love the podcast and keep up the good work!

Sergio

• This reply was modified 9 years, 8 months ago by sharpshooterphoto. Reason: Spelling correction
    Nelsoncycles
    Participant

Hi. I’m new to the forum. I have a good guy question. I keep my Glock loaded all the time but I dry fire most evenings and I am concerned about shrinking cartridge length, and excessive loading and unloading of the handgun. Is there a better solution/alternative to that practice? Thanks!

scsutke92
    Participant

Hey guys, when dealing with Armor Plates what do you think should be ones to get. I have heard that there is some good plates from Armor-Wear (Ceramic) and AR500 (Steel) which would you get if you had to choose. As always continue the good fight.

Joe

jslater
    Participant

With the weather changing I was wondering if you change the type of ammunition you carry for the winter months? Like from straight hollow points to a critical defense ammo or something like that.

SingelAction
    Participant

In regards to the “Kroger Fam Mob” that occurred in Memphis, TN on 9/6. This was brought to my attention via SOTG and 100% FED up. The headline alone is what really got my attention “This is why you carry at the grocery store”

The question I HAVE to ask is; In this situation, what is the RIGHT response? My gut, and training, tells me – don’t pull your pistol.

I have a lot of comment on this, but, do not want to take up the ‘post’ space. However, I would love to engage in a conversation over this subject.

Mike Haralson
    Participant

Greetings Jarrad and Paul,

I have a question that has remained unanswered for years. I am right eye dominate and I shoot right handed. I have a really difficult time acquiring my front sight and shooting a handgun accurately and rapidly, as you would in a defensive situation.

I am a former police officer, and professional firearms instructors that train cops for a living could not help me resolve this issue.

I used to train to shoot with my left eye closed. Thankfully, I never had to shoot a suspect in the line of duty, but virtually every time I was involved in a felony arrest where a suspect was taken down at gunpoint, I realized after the fact that while I was running on auto pilot during the incident I never once closed my left eye while looking at the suspect through my gun sights (or visa versa). So much for falling back on my training. I guess my brain doesn’t operate that way no matter how many thousands of rounds I send down range in training.

The old, “I’ll just blink my left eye when I bring the gun sights to my eye” thing never even occurred to me while I was in a high stress situation. I tilt my head, I cant my gun to bring the sight picture into alignment, I even went to a Glock shoot with a stupid black sticker on the left lens of my shooting glasses to block my vision in my left eye. None of these things work reliably for me.

I have blacked out the rear sight of every pistol I own with a Sharpy, and that does help draw my eye straight to the front sight. This morning I ordered the XS Big Dot for my Glock 42, and the Warren Tactical Sevigny style sights for my Glock 22. I will come back on here and report the difference they make for me, if any, when I get them installed and shoot them. If they help, I’ll put them on some of my other pistols too.

But in the meantime, it can’t simply be an equipment issue. It has to be me. There has to be some technique out there that can help. With as many students as you have trained, I’m sure you have come across this situation more than once. I appreciate any advice that you can give me. The Lenny Kravitz story in the 3rd hour was one of the best stories ever heard on Student of the Gun. Thanks so much and keep up the good work!

Best regards,
    Mike Haralson, Portland, Oregon

WUA
    Participant

Hello Forum Guys and Gals,

Just stopping by to let you know that the Good Guy kit is very cool. I’m really glad I signed up and participated and encourage you all to do the same. Thanks again to SOTG and xssights for the loot.
    Can’t wait until after work tomorrow to hear Monday’s show.

Wednesday is Constitution Day and I plan on attending my local rally, hope you all do the same…….make it your lunch hour if you can. We are under attack and need to do our part to wake up America!

Viewing 15 posts - 151 through 165 (of 217 total)
  • The forum ‘Student Of The Gun’ is closed to new topics and replies.